Moving Beyond Bars
Moving Beyond Bars engages people impacted by incarceration to express their often untold stories through movement and words. In movement/writing workshops, individuals explore creative expression for the memories, life experiences and dreams that contribute to a positive identity. The process includes:
1.Short writing exercises guided by facilitators
2. Sharing of these writings with the group
3. Exploration of gestures and movements to represent these written stories
4. The creation of a collective movement story with the support of the facilitator
This unique program sheds light on the humanity of justice-involved individuals, providing the opportunity for personal healing and connection with others. Presenting facilities have praised the impact of this program on the overall well-being of the participants as well as the staff and surrounding community.
“This workshop helped me channel and process my emotions through movement.”
-Moving Beyond Bars Participant
Moving Beyond Bars has been offered in juvenile detention centers, adult correctional facilities, and re-entry programs including…
- Miami-Dade Department of Juvenile Justice – Miami, FL
- Minnesota Juvenile Correctional Facility – Red Wing, MN
- Napa State Hospital – Napa, CA
- The South Dakota State Penitentiary – Sioux Falls, SD
These programs have been supported by the National Endowment for the Arts, Minnesota State Arts Board and individual patrons. Moving Beyond Bars is available to all justice-impacted organizations.
To bring this customized program to your facility, please contact